May 22, 2020 - Health & Wellness
Importance of Immune Health for Seniors
Your immune system is one of the most important functions in your body, as it actively works to protect you against infections and illnesses. When your immune system is working properly, you feel good, productive and ready to take on the day. When your immune system becomes compromised and isn’t strong enough to protect you, you might find yourself fighting off a fever or becoming dehydrated. Aging can sometimes weaken immune health, but there are different ways you can work to combat that. A great place to start is by including the right foods in your diet to give your immune system a boost and keep yourself healthy.
8 Foods that Can Boost Your Immune System
Here is a list of different foods that can help boost your immune system and keep you healthy:
- Almonds are rich in vitamin E, which is an essential vitamin your body needs to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Red bell pepper is a rich source of beta carotene, which helps keep your skin and eyes healthy. Red bell pepper also contains high levels of vitamin C.
- Citrus fruits like grapefruit, lemons, limes, tangerines and oranges serve as great immune health boosters because they are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body create more white blood cells, which are key to helping your body fight off infections.
- Broccoli is one of the best vegetable options to have with dinner, as it contains antioxidants and vitamins A, C and E, which all help to boost your immune system.
- Papaya is loaded with vitamin C and also have a digestive enzyme called papain that has anti-inflammatory effects. Potassium, B vitamins and folate can also be found in papayas and are all beneficial to your immune system.
- Sunflower seeds are full of nutrients including magnesium, phosphorous and vitamin B-6. They also contain a high level of vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin E helps regulate and maintain your immune system function.
- Green tea contains flavonoids, which are a type of antioxidants. Green tea is also full of the amino acid, L-theanine, which can aid in the production of germ-fighting compounds in your body.
- Yogurt is a great source of vitamin D, which helps regulate your immune system and can ultimately help boost your body’s ability to fight off disease.
Ways to Boost Your Immune System Naturally
In addition to eating healthy, there are many ways you can naturally boost your immune system. Read these three simple tips on how you can improve your immune system every day.
- Get Enough Sleep. By simply getting an adequate amount of sleep each night, you will strengthen your natural immunity and decrease your likeliness of becoming sick.
- Manage Stress. Make sure to find healthy ways to relieve any stress or anxiety you’re experiencing. Keeping your stress levels down will in turn boost your immune system.
- Stay Hydrated. A very simple way to ensure your immune system is boosted is to ensure your body is hydrated. Aim to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water each day to avoid becoming dehydrated.
Stay Healthy at Peregrine Senior Living
At Peregrine Senior Living, your health and wellbeing are our top priority. We strive to find new ways to help our residents uncover more purpose and fulfillment in their daily life. You will be able to keep your immune system boosted by eating a well-balanced diet and partaking in many activities available to residents.
We assist residents in identifying new goals and renewing old interests, help provide continuity of experience from childhood to present and provide a lecture series all as a part of The Peregrine Way. Contact us today at 315-476-5610 to learn more about how you can live a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle at Peregrine.