August 14, 2020 - Health & Wellness
Functions of the Skin and Skin Importance
Your skin is one of the most important parts of your body that helps protect you against harm. There are six main functions of the skin: protection, heat regulation, secretion, sensation and absorption. You may not think about it often, but your skin is helping protect you every single minute of every day and allowing you to live the lifestyle you have. You only get one set of skin your entire life, so it’s imperative you take good care of it. A great start to helping your skin is by protecting it from the sun when you’re outside. Skin cancer prevention is a huge way to help maintain the healthiness of your skin. You may be wondering how to prevent skin cancer? Luckily, there are a few simple ways you can be proactive and take care of your skin when you’re exposed to sunlight.
6 Tips to Prevent Skin Cancer
Here are some easy ways you can help protect your body from skin cancer:
- Wear Sunscreen. This is one of the most effective ways that you can help protect your skin when you’re exposed to the sun. You need to make sure you’re applying sunscreen generously every time you’re outside. Cover your entire body in sunscreen and make sure you are reapplying at least every four hours. Check the label on your specific sunscreen for directions on how often to apply and make sure you follow them accurately to ensure you’re getting adequate protection from the sun.
- Practice Car Safety. Much like applying sunscreen when you’re outdoors is important, it’s equally important to apply sunscreen when you’re traveling in a car. The sun’s powerful UV rays can shine in through the car windows and put you at risk for skin damage. Make sure to apply sunscreen before you are going to take a drive.
- Wear Sunglasses. Like your skin, your eyes are also susceptible to UV damage. Wearing sunglasses can help keep your eyes healthy and free from sun damage. When selecting your sunglasses, try and choose a pair that meet UVA/UVB standards. Regularly wearing sunglasses not only helps protect your eyes from the sun, but also helps reduce your risk of developing cataracts.
- Avoid Peak Sun Exposure. It’s important to take note of the time of day you’re outside and exposed to the sun. The sun’s rays are usually strongest between 10 AM and 4 PM. If you arrange your outdoor schedule around those hours, you will help lower your risk of skin cancer.
- Inspect Your Skin. Something simple and proactive to help prevent skin cancer is performing monthly head to toe skin checks. Pay attention to things like new growths or any changes to old growths. If you notice growths that change size or shape, inform your doctor right away.
- See a Dermatologist. It may be beneficial to see a dermatologist once a year and have them perform an annual skin exam. This exam would allow your dermatologist to identify any small skin problems you may have and help eliminate them before they turn into major problems.
Live a Healthy Lifestyle at Peregrine Senior Living
At Peregrine Senior Living, we know how important the safety of every one of our residents is, and that’s why we make it our top priority. Whether you’re in our independent living, assisted living or memory care communities, we provide you with a safe and healthy living environment. Each of our communities provides you with a vibrant, homelike atmosphere where you can safely live as independently as you’d like.