July 5, 2022 - Senior Living
Senior Living Communities Today: Not What They Once Were
Modern senior living communities aren’t what they used to be! Many older adults today are thrilled to discover that today’s senior living communities are highly desirable options offering more freedom, more ways to be active and healthy, and more opportunities for leading a life of purpose and enjoyment.
Not What They Used to Be: Seniors and Senior Living Communities
It’s not just the communities that have changed. Today’s older adults are redefining their retirement years with new vigor. Their expectations are changing—and senior living communities like Peregrine are responding.
Seniors are living longer and want more.
- The average U.S. life expectancy increased from 68 years in 1950 to 78.6 years in 2017.
- Today’s older adults recognize that staying active, learning new things, and spending time with like-minded people are all ingredients in the recipe for better health.
- Seniors are not as concerned about peer influence. They are making their own decisions about their life and they appreciate senior living that is personalized to their interests.
- Today’s seniors are more drawn to living a life of purpose and making a positive impact on the community as a whole.
- Older adults are working longer. By 2018, 24 percent of men and about 16 percent of women ages 65 and older were in the labor force. These levels are projected to rise further by 2026, to 26 percent for men and 18 percent for women.
Seniors have changed how they decide about senior living communities.
Older adults used to wait for a crisis to drive the decision rather than embracing the transition into a community setting as a choice. This was often due to the fact that many people viewed senior living communities as a gloomy proposition or “the end of the road.” Nothing could be further from the truth today—modern senior living communities offer engaging and wellness-focused environments that are highly desired by today’s discriminating prospects.
In addition, seniors can now make their decision based on several sources of information. For example, recommendations of friends and family. Online research (Pew Research reports that six in ten seniors are online). Seniors visit several communities to see the lifestyle firsthand. Competition amongst senior living communities is a good thing for seniors!
Senior living communities are changing to meet new expectations
Senior living options today help older adults grow into a new chapter and offer the resources
necessary to ensure that growth is successful and fulfilling. For example, modern senior living communities like Peregrine typically offer:
- Comprehensive wellness programs that go beyond physical health by encompassing spiritual, intellectual and emotional growth.
- Lifelong learning options including partnering with local colleges and organizations to provide classes, seminars and programs.
- A variety of fitness opportunities geared to senior health, including classes, access to senior-friendly exercise equipment, personal training options, and more.
- Numerous events and activities that promote socializing, a vital component of senior health. Studies show when seniors increase the number of social activities they participate in, they feel more satisfied with life and more positive about their well-being.
- Exceptional dining experiences with chef-prepared meals served restaurant-style, multiple dining venues to accommodate residents’ preferences and schedules, attention to special dietary restrictions and needs, emphasis on nutrition, and more.
- Opportunities to volunteer, be involved in projects, mentor, share wisdom and experience. Research verifies that having a purpose in life is linked to longevity, lower risk of disease, better sleep and healthier behaviors.
Senior Living Communities Have Changed—That’s Great News for Seniors!
Today’s older adults planning their retirement have abundant options. People are making the move earlier than ever so they can capitalize on this active, convenient and carefree lifestyle. At Peregrine, we’ve always believed in pushing to find new ways to empower people with purpose and fulfillment.
Senior living communities have truly evolved, and so should your expectations!