July 10, 2020 - Health & Wellness
Importance of Exercise for Seniors
It’s no surprise that physical activity and exercise are good for you thanks to the many benefits you will experience when you incorporate them into your everyday routine. Regular physical activity helps improve your mental and physical health and improves your state of overall wellbeing. Learn more about four simple exercises you can do at-home or outside this summer to stay active and healthy.
4 Summer Exercises for Seniors
Now that you understand the importance of exercising and staying in shape, learn more about four simple exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home or outdoors this summer.
- Walking. Walking is one of the easiest and most simple ways you can exercise at your own pace and wherever you feel comfortable. You can choose to either walk indoors or outside around your community, the choice is up to you. By walking every day for at least thirty minutes, you can reap many benefits like maintaining muscle mass, increasing mental sharpness and stopping the loss of bone mass.
- Stretching. There are a variety of exercises that focus solely on stretching because stretching helps you to become more flexible, and flexibility is key to performing daily activities that make independence possible. When you regularly stretch, you are helping prevent yourself from falls and increase your overall sense of balance. You can view free stretch classes online that provide videos, tips and examples to get you started.
- Chair Exercises. Chair exercises are a great option for anyone, especially those who may struggle with mobility issues or chronic conditions. Chair exercises are simple, low impact exercises that can be completed while sitting in a chair and can help to increase your overall flexibility. There is an abundance of free chair exercises online to get you started.
- Yoga. Yoga is one of the best all-around exercises available to you, and it’s one you can do wherever you’d like. Yoga has a wide variety of different classes and forms that you can pick from to match your skillset. Yoga can be as low or high impact as you want it to be, and that’s why it can be done by people at all skill levels. When you do yoga regularly, you increase your flexibility, strength and balance. You can find just about any type of yoga you’re interested online for free to help guide you through your workout.
Summer Exercise Safety Tips
While you are exercising, make sure you are practicing safety measures. Here are some simple ways you can stay safe while working out:
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after you exercise
- Take a break if you begin to feel tired or overheated
- Try to avoid exercise outdoors when the sun is at its hottest
- Always apply sunscreen every two hours while you are outdoors
It is also a good idea to tell a friend or family member when you plan to exercise outdoors for an extended period of time so that they can check in on you periodically.
Live an Active Lifestyle at Peregrine Senior Living
At Peregrine Senior Living, we recognize the importance of an active, independent lifestyle, and that’s why we provide you with a variety of amenities and services that help you reach your mental and physical goals.
Contact us today to learn more about our engaging senior living community.