January 4, 2022 - Independent Living
What is Independent Living?
What is independent living? Retirement, only better! That’s just one way we at Peregrine Senior Living like to think about independent living. There are so many advantages to this empowering, carefree lifestyle that it can be hard to put in just a few words. So here are several: convenience. Freedom. Inspiration. Excitement. Friends. Reassurance. Adventure. Opportunity. What is independent living? A great choice! Let us tell you more.
What independent living is and what it can mean for you.
Independent living defined. A typical description of independent living is a community of apartments, cottages, condominiums and/or single family homes for residents who don’t need assistance with daily activities or skilled nursing. These are people who are active, mobile and desire convenience, less responsibility, senior-friendly surroundings, and increased social opportunities.
But more than that, it’s what you can’t “see” about independent living that makes it such a wonderful option—it’s how it opens up a new world of possibilities for you.
It’s a lifestyle. A passport to a vacation from everyday worries or home upkeep (it’s all done for you). An exciting open page where you’re free to write the next chapter of your life. You’re living life on your own terms.
Bask in the sunshine. Learn to speak French. Reconnect with old friends and make new ones. Tackle that stack of mystery novels you’ve collected. Do yoga, Tai chi, or meditate every afternoon. You’re footloose and you’re in control. (And someone else Is doing the windows!)
In fact, in a vibrant independent living community, you’ll find the ingredients for a higher quality of life:
- Social: You’ll have lots of interesting friends with whom to share the good times as well as challenges that come with aging. Having someone close by who cares, and understands, can make a huge difference.
- Physical: Activities and opportunities to stay active and strong, as well as encouragement from others to participate. Good habits and good health go together!
- Psychological: Independent living offers you a regular routine (that you control), which fosters a sense of purpose, greater self-esteem, and mental health. Your mind won’t get lazy with so many choices.
- Environmental: You’ve found a place to call home with safety and security, vitality, opportunities for lifelong learning, resources for dining, transportation and other services. As well senior-friendly housing that caters to your satisfaction and your safety.
What is independent living? It’s where you want to be!
According to Seniorliving.org, the United States has approximately 250,000 housing units in communities for independent living. And the good news is people who choose independent senior living are overwhelmingly glad they did. In fact, in a study by Holleran Consulting LLC, after moving to independent living:
- 89.3% of independent living residents rate their overall satisfaction as good or excellent
- 84.5% would recommend their community to someone else
That’s a lot of happy campers! They like what they’ve discovered about what is independent living, and it might just appeal to you: an opportunity to trade home maintenance for new passions and a lifestyle filled with purpose. And at Peregrine Senior Living, we take an even deeper look at what is independent living. Our communities strive to celebrate what makes each resident unique, giving you the opportunity to focus on your physical, mental and emotional wellness. We call it The Peregrine Way®, and we’d love to tell you more about it.
To truly thrive, you need choice and independence—Peregrine gives you both. Contact us today to learn more. And please download the free guide, Just the Facts: Your Guide to Independent Living.