January 19, 2022 - Independent Living
What to Expect in an Independent Living Community
You’re getting close to a decision about independent living, thinking it’s a great option and now starting to gather information about the details of the lifestyle. You might be wondering: what will it feel like when you get there? At Peregrine, we have a great story to tell about independent living—one that could open the door to an ideal way of life for you.
What do independent living communities typically offer?
The independent living lifestyle is designed specifically for active adults who want to enjoy life, free of the burdens of daily chores and responsibilities. Some features of this lifestyle include:
- A choice of living options including apartments, cottages, condominiums and/or even single-family homes in some cases
- Restaurant-style dining with one to three chef-prepared meals daily
- Basic housekeeping and laundry services
- Transportation to appointments and errands
- Wellness programs
- A range of educational, social and enrichment programs, activities and outings
- Amenities such as a pool, fitness center, onsite beauty and barber salon
Beyond the specific services and amenities offered, independent living opens up a larger world to you in retirement than you would ordinarily find at home. With more options and less responsibility, you can get back to the things you really enjoy with plenty of friends to enjoy them with.
So what can you expect each day in independent living?
- Something new all the time. Staff members work hard to come up with diverse and interesting activities for each month and many of the events are suggested by residents. But you can count on lots of spur-of-the-moment events like birthday parties, impromptu gatherings to watch the big game, guest speakers, celebrating the birth of someone’s grandchild, and much more. In today’s independent living communities, boredom is NOT on the calendar!
- All kinds of people who make life interesting. In independent living, you will be rubbing shoulders with all kinds of folks who bring unique experiences to the table. Teachers, business professionals, farmers, clergy, homemakers, artists, veterans, animal lovers, bridge champions, gardeners—imagine how lively discussions around the dining table could be!
- A culture of hospitality. Think of when you visit a vacation hotel or resort, or even the home of a dear friend…you don’t have to worry about the details of daily life. Meals are delicious and prepared for you. Housekeeping is someone else’s chore. You are wrapped in an ambiance of hospitality that welcomes you with warmth and care. That’s how it feels in independent living.
- A sense of safety and security. It’s your time in life to really kick back and enjoy each moment as fully as you can. And that good feeling is amplified when you know that you’ve chosen an environment not only dedicated to your personal fulfillment, but also your wellbeing. Independent living is created specifically with seniors in mind. From the architectural design, to the attention paid to nutrition and fitness, to the extra safety features in each residence, to having 24-hour security on-site. It’s all good for you. And it’s great peace of mind for your family.
- A chance to kickstart a whole new wellness program. You might be a seasoned marathon runner. Or you might have hung up your athletic gear many moons ago. Either is okay in independent living! Because you’ll have access to a range of opportunities to get moving again if you choose. Like senior-friendly exercise equipment. Zumba classes. Yoga and Tai Chi. Walking clubs. Ways to work on balance and strength. Maybe even water aerobics. Wherever you are in the fitness spectrum, independent living offers you the opportunity to enhance and maintain your fitness level.
- A reason to redefine how you see aging. With the freedom and benefits you enjoy in independent living, the possibilities are endless for what you might do. Write that novel. Volunteer with rescue animals. Learn how to paint. Get back on the golf course. Teach your grandchildren how to play a game. At Peregrine Senior Living, we are redefining retirement living every day. Our independent senior living communities strive to celebrate what makes each resident unique.
Whether it’s hosting family brunch in a stunning dining room or letting the fresh air reinvigorate your spirit on an afternoon walk, there’s always new ways to find simple joys!
The Peregrine Way®: a fresh perspective on senior living that could be just right for you. Contact us today to learn more. And please download the free guide, Just The Facts: Your Guide to Independent Living.