August 10, 2021 - Memory Care
10 Questions to Ask a Memory Care Community
Visiting a memory care community—whether in-person or online—is not only an excellent way to get the information you and your family need to make a decision about your loved one, it also gives you a “feel” for what life would be like for them. If possible, visit several communities. Schedule your first visit in-person, but also make a few unannounced visits as you narrow down your choices. Be sure to visit at least once during mealtime.
Before touring, do your research. Study online reviews. Find out if anyone you know has had a family member who has lived there or knows an employee. Once you are ready to tour, jot down questions in advance so you’ll be sure to cover the basics. Be sure to ask what they think sets their memory care apart.
The Peregrine Way is our unique approach to memory care that helps improve the quality of life for residents and their families through unsurpassed care. Everything we do is designed to help our residents thrive.
Questions to ask a memory care community: some suggestions from The Alzheimer’s Association
- What kind of personal assistance will my loved one receive? Discuss the specifics of care, and what flexibility exists in terms of each person’s preferred schedule. Ask if help with daily tasks like bathing and grooming is delivered with dignity and respect.
- What type of training has the staff been through? You want to get an idea of the level of experience, and whether the caregiving team understands the different stages of dementia and how to adjust for each. Ask about longevity of staff, as well as the staffing ratio at night and on the weekends.
- What is the policy for medical emergencies? Get specifics. Is there nursing staff available 24 hours a day? Is there a medical director or visiting physician who can be consulted? Familiarize yourself with the proximity of hospitals and emergency care clinics.
- What are the details of your dining program? Be sure to visit the dining area and observe how the servers and caregivers interact with residents. Ask to see a typical menu and find out how dietary restrictions or preferences are handled.
- Are rooms private or semi-private? This is one of the most important questions to ask a memory care community, as you want to know in advance what to expect. Take a look at the residences and think about whether they seem comfortable, clean, and well-organized. Check if they offer shared suites.
- Are buildings and outdoor areas secure? Safety is paramount for people with dementia. Ask which doors remain locked and how access is handled, as well as how safety is incorporated throughout the building.
- What kind of activities do you offer? Find out how they help keep residents physically active. Ask about outdoor areas for rest and relaxation, such as a secured garden area, shuffleboard court or patio where family and friends can join them for a visit. Be sure to pick up a monthly activities calendar to get a full picture of the breadth of what is available.
- How will you stay in touch with me? Ask if you will receive regular updates on your loved one’s situation by email, text, or by phone. Also, get an idea of how receptive the staff is to families dropping by or calling for an update.
- How can our family be involved in our loved one’s life? When thinking about questions to ask a memory care community, remember to find out if families are encouraged to participate in care planning. Ask if there are regular care meetings you can attend. Also, are there any activities just for families, or opportunities for family members to attend with their loved one. The Peregrine Way offers supportive family programs that provide education, empathy, and empowerment.
- What type of special therapies and programs do you offer? For example, ask about music therapy, pet therapy, and other special programs designed to stimulate and engage. Every day is filled with purpose at Peregrine Senior Living, with the goal of encouraging spiritual, intellectual, and emotional growth.
The goal of Peregrine Senior Living’s unique approach to memory care is to help improve the quality of life for residents and their families through unsurpassed care. Everything we do is designed to help our residents thrive. We’re here to help you. Download our free guide: Just the Facts: Memory Care for more information. Learn more about The Peregrine Way. Contact us today.