April 19, 2022 - Assisted Living
How Assisted Living Improves Quality of Life
Audrey Hepburn once said, “The most important thing is to enjoy life—to be happy—it’s all that matters.” Having a lifestyle where you feel energized and engaged gives you more than a reason to smile, it also gives you a sense of purpose and fulfillment. Today’s seniors and their families are finding that in a senior living community like Peregrine, the high quality of life available in assisted living can do the same—and maybe even more!
What is quality of life?
Oxford Dictionary tells us that quality of life is “the standard of health, comfort and happiness experienced by an individual or group.” It’s not hard to see how living in a modern assisted living setting affords you or a loved one the best of all three:
- Health. Wellness of mind, body and spirit is the focus in assisted living, and the resident doesn’t have to go far to see evidence of this commitment. Professionally trained staff members are there to monitor each individual’s health 24/7. If there’s a change, someone is there to spot it and give it attention. It might be noticing a resident is not sleeping well or is experiencing a loss of appetite—signs that could trigger other conditions. In addition, nutritional support and guidance helps ensure assisted living residents get the proper vitamins in their diet—and enjoy delicious dining in a gracious atmosphere.
Residents also have the benefit of regular health screenings, assistance with medications, and a range of therapy services if needed (physical, occupational, etc.). At Peregrine, our assisted living residents benefit from a new way of looking at the aging process, where greater emphasis is placed on physical, mental and emotional wellness—all of which go hand-in-hand with improved quality of life.
- Comfort. Life in assisted living is designed to be easy, with a range of conveniences and services meant to remove any worries from the day to enhance quality of life. For example, tasks such as housekeeping, flat-linen laundry, scheduled transportation to appointments, apartment maintenance and more are handled by the staff. Residents enjoy a comfortable, smartly designed apartment that can quickly feel like home with familiar mementos and furnishings. Assistance with activities of daily living such as grooming, bathing, and dining are provided with respect and care. There’s also the security of an emergency alert system in each residence offering further peace of mind.
- Happiness. Quality of life and happiness go hand in hand. At Peregrine, we make sure our assisted living residents can enjoy a full calendar of interesting and engaging activities, beautiful open spaces and outdoor courtyards, opportunities for lifelong learning, special events, parties and celebrations, fitness classes, time with their pets, special outings, and much, much more. Connecting with others is easy, as is having time alone. Knowing each day brings with it opportunities to contribute and be involved offers a sense of purpose, which in turn enhances happiness, a sense of belonging, and quality of life.
[hubspot type=cta portal=8265574 id=4ffcb628-87fe-445b-81ad-ae934bad7f08]
Can Assisted Living Improve Quality of Life? Let the Facts Speak.
A recent A Place for Mom study revealed the following:
After Moving to Assisted Living….
- 5 times more likely to see overall quality of life improve than worsen
- 73 percent of families report that a senior’s quality of life got better or much better
- 73 percent of respondents reported an improvement in the senior’s nutrition
- 64 percent saw the senior’s social well-being improve
- 47 percent saw emotional well-being improve
- 44 percent saw physical health improve
- 60 percent say their own quality of life improved
- Half say their relationship with the senior improved
- 64 percent of families feel less stress about their senior loved ones
- 32 percent of families report healthier or much healthier diet and exercise levels
Health. Comfort. Happiness. Improved Quality of Life.
Choosing assisted living can open new doors to improved health and wellness for today’s senior, not to mention give them more reasons to smile. After all, being happy is really what it’s all about, isn’t it?
When you choose Peregrine, you get more. . Contact us today to learn more. And please download the free guide, “Just the Facts: Your Guide to Assisted Living”. We are here to help you!