April 15, 2020 - Healthy Living
Why is Personal Hygiene Important?
From washing your hands to disinfecting countertops, there’s a lot you can do to keep yourself healthy. Maintaining personal hygiene is important and something you should try to do in order to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Good hygiene habits can help you increase your immune system, lower your risk of disease and improve both your overall physical and mental health. Follow these personal hygiene rules today to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
7 Hygiene Rules to Follow to Stay Healthy
Below are 7 hygiene rules to help you practice good hygiene habits. By following these rules, you can improve your personal hygiene and live a healthier life.
- Shower Daily – Taking a shower every day with soap and water helps to remove dead skin cells, germs, dirt and sweat from the body.
- Covering Your Mouth Properly when You Sneeze or Cough – Make sure to cover your mouth whenever you sneeze or cough to avoid the spread of germs. Covering your mouth with a tissue and then throwing it away after is a great way to reduce the spread of germs to others.
- Brush Your teeth Twice a Day – Brushing your teeth twice a day will help you have stronger gums and help you take less visits to the dentist. Brushing twice a day can also help prevent gum disease which can lead to other illnesses. Using floss and mouth wash regularly can also help you maintain good oral hygiene.
- Trimming Your Nails Often – Keeping your finger and toenails trimmed and in good shape will help to prevent you from getting hang nails, breakage and infected nail beds. Trim your nails weekly to eliminate the germs and dirt that accumulate underneath them.
- Wear Deodorant Daily – Wearing deodorant helps to control excessive sweat, eliminate body odor and helps you to smell fresh daily.
- Change Into Clean Clothes Daily – Changing into clean clothes every day can help prevent skin infections and body odor. Clothes capture bacteria, which makes changing them every day essential to avoiding the spread of germs. Make sure to wash your clothes after you wear them and wash your hands after handling dirty laundry.
- Get Plenty of Sleep – Obtaining a healthy amount of sleep is important for both your mental and physical health. Getting between 8 to 10 hours a night can help improve your productivity and overall quality of life.
How to Wash Your Hands
Washing your hands every day is an essential way to stay healthy. Read the steps below on how to wash your hands to ensure you are doing it correctly and effectively.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water; the water can be warm or cold. Apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with soap. Make sure to lather the back of your hands, between your fingers and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Try humming “Happy Birthday” twice to ensure you scrub for the full time.
- Rinse your hands well under running water.
- Dry your hands fully using a clean towel. You can also air dry them if preferred.
Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle at Peregrine Senior Living
It’s important to maintain good personal hygiene and set goals to keep yourself accountable. At Peregrine Senior Living, we assist each resident in identifying new personal goals to help them continually grow mentally, spiritually and physically. We encourage you to learn more about what our senior living community has to offer.