September 9, 2019 - Healthy Living
Our Top 5 Tips to Celebrate Healthy Aging Month
September is your chance to have a fresh start! Fall is on the horizon, the kids are back to school, and the craziness of summer is winding down. This is exactly why every September we celebrate Healthy Aging Month. Things might have gotten lost in the shuffle of summer, but this is your reminder to get back on track with healthy habits.
Healthy Aging Month is an annual celebration designed to put the focus on the positive aspects of getting older. For more than 20 years, this month has been dedicated to providing older adults with inspiration and practical ideas to improve overall physical, mental and social well-being.
5 Tips to Start Living Healthier Today
As you age, living healthier becomes more and more important. Every decision you make can improve your overall health or contribute to bad habits that could cause issues down the road. By making smart choices that improve your overall wellness, you can live a longer, healthier and happier life.
Incorporate these 5 habits into your everyday routine to celebrate Healthy Aging Month and to start creating good habits:
- Get moving every day! Even just 30 minutes of aerobic exercise three to four times a week can make a huge difference in your overall physical health. Try walking with a friend, riding your bike or even swimming.
- Improve your social life! Especially as you age, building positive relationships becomes more important. Stay socially active by joining a class, volunteering in your community, or visiting family.
- Get your beauty rest! Not only is this hugely beneficial to your health, but it is good for your mind. Try adding meditation, yoga or Tai Chi to your daily routine to help you relax. Also, do everything you can to get a full seven to nine hours of sleep a night.
- Eat Well! Add high-fiber foods to your diet and try to avoid eating overly processed foods. Follow a Mediterranean diet full of healthy veggies, olive oil and red wine in moderation.
- Get a Check-Up! Make it a habit to get a physical every September. Your doctor can help you make even more positive changes as well as identify any potential issues before they become a bigger problem.
Don’t get overwhelmed by trying to overhaul your lifestyle. Make small changes every day that help you move toward your health goals. Even a little progress will help motivate you to keep making changes that allow you to age in the healthiest way possible.
Pursue a Healthier Lifestyle at Peregrine Senior Living
At Peregrine Senior Living, it is our goal to help our residents focus attention on living their healthiest lifestyle. Our unique approach to senior living encourages seniors to explore growth through new interests, goals, and friendships. We invite you to learn more about The Peregrine Way and how we empower our residents to thrive each and every day. Schedule a tour of our campuses and find out if we are a good fit for your future.