February 15, 2022 - Independent Living
6 Reasons Why Winter is a Great Time to Move to an Independent Living Community
There’s a Japanese proverb that says, “One kind word can warm three winter months.” That’s a good thing to keep in mind, especially when you live in the north and you know just how cold and extreme the weather can be. But even better, when you’re a resident of an independent living community, winter is just another season of warm companionship, carefree living and all the perks that go with choosing this exceptional lifestyle.
At Peregrine, we think winter is a great time to move to independent living! Here are 6 reasons why:
1. You’ll be too busy to have the “winter blues.” Living in an independent living community, you can trade chores and worries for new passions and a lifestyle filled with purpose. Let the winds blow outside—you’re indoors with a full calendar of activities and events to choose from. Learn to paint. See a movie. Try Zumba. Attend a class. Giggle at happy hour. Independent living offers a bright and cheerful atmosphere year-round.
2. You have easier access to total wellness. Winter can wear down your health in many ways. Walking in the cold, getting wet clearing snow and ice off a car windshield, being around others with colds or the flu, and in general just not feeling your best. But in independent living, you are immersed in a health-oriented environment, one with continuous wellness screening and an attentive staff who can assist you onsite. You’re able to maintain good habits, with nutritious dining and a range of physical fitness options just steps away. As well as opportunities to continue to grow intellectually and spiritually.
3. You can say goodbye to winter home maintenance. What could be worse than trying to get snow and ice off your windshield? Trying to get it off your sidewalk, gutters, bird bath, patio and just about any other area! It’s difficult and it can be dangerous. Instead, choose independent living and give yourself a reprieve from all the hazards and work of winter. Instead of repairing the furnace, you can enjoy a cozy lunch with friends, play bridge, visit the beauty parlor or barber shop, or sit in on a cooking demo. You’re indoors. You’re comfortable. And at Peregrine independent living, you’re happy to feel so at home!
4. You can keep up with your exercise routine. Or start a new one! Unpredictable weather can make driving to a gym or community center tricky, and it’s easy to let your exercise regimen slip. That’s not a good thing. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) report that not getting enough exercise can lead to heart disease, and increase the likelihood of obesity, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and type 2 diabetes. But in an independent living community, you don’t have to give up being fit. Walk inside the community to get your steps in. Exercise with senior-friendly equipment and join others in classes for strength and balance, as well as cardio work. It’s more fun in a group, and you’re much more likely to stay motivated.
5. You benefit from an uncrowded real estate market. Spring and summer can be so jammed with home listings that you might not get top dollar. But in the winter, with fewer houses for sale, you are more apt to get the price you want, and maybe even more. In addition, it’s easier to schedule a moving company at your convenience, and their rates may be lower as well.
6. You won’t be lonely. Staying at home in the winter can be quite lonely. Poor driving conditions, less daylight, and just plain cold weather can be enough to keep you indoors for what feels like forever. Not having anyone to talk to for a long period can be very bad for your health. In fact, loneliness can be as harmful to your health as smoking 15 cigarettes. That’s why moving to independent living in the winter is such a good idea. Good friends are right next door. Stimulating activities are always going on. Nutritious food is ready and waiting.
With independent living at Peregrine, you’ll enjoy meaningful social interactions as you build a group of friends and start to feel connected to something bigger than yourself. And you can do it feeling safe and warm all winter long!
Life is an interesting journey, and you have the freedom to decide how eventful it is. Contact us today to learn more. And please download the free guide, Just The Facts: Your Guide to Independent Living. We are here to help you!