January 11, 2022 - Independent Living
Is Independent Living the Right Retirement Choice for Me?
Retirement gives you a lot to think about. What to do? Where to live? How to make the most out of every day. It’s the same with senior living—so many choices. Take independent living. It’s a great option that scores of older adults are choosing and also would highly recommend to their friends. But is independent living retirement a fit for you? Here’s a few questions to ask yourself.
- How is my health overall? Independent living retirement is best for those who, other than a few aches and pains, are able to live on their own with little or no assistance with activities such as dressing, bathing, toileting, and so on (or who are able to get that help privately). One way to think about it is this: if you were alone in your house for a few days, would your health suffer? If so, independent living may not be right for you.
- How easily can I get around by myself? Most seniors in independent living have either no mobility issues or are able to handle them without 24-hour assistance. American Seniors Housing Association (ASHA) reports that less than 10 percent of all independent living residents use mobility aids such as walkers and wheelchairs.
- Can I handle my affairs, or do I need someone watching out for me? In assisted living, residents can rely on staff to keep an eye on their daily wellness and check in with them frequently to be sure they are eating properly, sleeping, and so on. In independent living retirement, you come and go as you please and maintain your privacy without constantly checking in with staff.
- Can I manage my medications? Reading labels, taking the right dosage and keeping prescriptions is important for good health and an example of being able to live independently.
- Do I need help scheduling doctor’s appointments or services? If you’ve been taking care of your medical needs, including regularly seeing your physician, you are a good candidate for independent living retirement.
Remember, if you do occasionally need a bit of assistance with any of these needs, you still might be a good candidate for independent living retirement. You simply would use third-party home health services for medication management, physical, occupational and speech therapy or personal care needs.
Independent living: new freedom, new convenience, new fun in retirement!
It’s not just about how able you are to get through the day. Independent living retirement is also about what you want out of life—the beginning of an inspiring new adventure. If you’re finding it more difficult to socialize or if household upkeep is beginning to feel overwhelming, it might be time to start thinking about independent living.
- Am I ready to leave household chores, repairs, obligations and a gutter full of leaves behind and let someone else worry about all of it?
- Am I ready to make new friends so I can dine with someone when I choose, join them in an activity or event, share my stories and memories, and know that companionship is always close by?
- Would I like to start or renew a fitness program that helps me grow stronger, improve my balance and strength, enhance my overall wellness, and refresh my energy?
- Would I enjoy living in a gracious, comfortable and smartly designed residence that was planned for my safety, security and convenience?
- Am I eager to be able to choose from a long list of activities and events designed to help me keep growing mentally, socially and spiritually?
- Would I appreciate a feeling of safety and security, knowing someone was always close by if needed, but not having to call family or friends if there’s a late-night emergency?
You’re probably getting a pretty good idea of whether an independent living retirement is the right fit for you. At Peregrine, you can relax and carve your own path filled with engaging lifestyle opportunities. And have the peace of mind of knowing supportive care is available should your needs charge. It’s all part of The Peregrine Way® — giving you opportunities to focus on your physical, mental and emotional wellness. There’s never a better time to live in the moment!
Peregrine is redefining independent living. Contact us today to learn more. We are here to help you!